Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Kak Elle's Beef with spices


You will need:

  1. 500g beef or lamb
  2. 1 big onion
  3. 2 cloves of garlic
  4. 2 lemon grass
  5. 1cm ginger
  6. 5 dried chillies (about 5cm each)
  7. 1 tsp coriander seeds
  8. 1 tsp cumin seeds
  9. 1 tsp fennel seeds
  10. 500ml water
  11. 1 piece of asam keping
  12. salt to taste
  13. 3-5cm gula melaka (or brown sugar)
  14. 2tbs oil

Direction

  • Blend ingredients no.2 - 9 to a fine texture.
  • Heat the oil in a preheated wok. Fry the blended ingredients until fragrant.
  • Add in the beef/lamb and water.
  • Toss in the asam keping, brown sugar (or gula melaka) and salt.
  • Cook the beef/lamb until tender.
  • Serve with rice or bread.
Source: Adapted from Kak Elle's blog. Please refer here for the original recipe.

Note: I used lamb instead of beef for this recipe. Also, I did not have galangal, I don't know why i replaced it with ginger? I have never used galangal in any of my recipes to tell you the truth!

Another thing was, Kak Elle used 'jintan'. In Malaysia there are two types of jintan; manis and putih. When I started cooking her recipe, I realised that I didn't know which jintan Kak Elle was referring to. So I added in both, fennel and cumin (which one is j.putih and manis eh?) Anyway, the outcome was fantabulous! We rarely eat chilli hot food nowadays, so this one has really spiced up our menu for the day! Thanks Kak Elle.

11 comments:

Kak Elle said...

Thank you for the compliment:)yes use both jintan.So you can't get lengkuas in UK? not even the powder ke?We need lengkuas for rendang recipe to make it ummmppppph...

aNIe said...

Kak lady kata nak masak pun tak buat lagik...cari2 jintan pun takde kat rumah...sebab memang jarang masak guna jintan...hehehhe

Ajzie said...

Huhhh nampak sedap..mengiurkan lah... Nisak tempat Azi susah dapat daging. Jauh sangat kedai nya..

oldtown~Smell the Roses said...

gmbr tu menggambarkan betapa sedapnya menu tu!yum yum...

Mama Sarah said...

Kak Elle Galangal can be found in Asian shops. Fresh ones. ERrr, I think they were galangal! Something like ginger, with softer skin, right?

Kak Lady Agak-agak saya mungkin boleh gantikan ketumbar dan jintan tu dengan serbuk kurma. (Lagi sedap tumbuk sendiri :)

Ajzie Mungkin Azie boleh cuba dengan ayam atau udang? Ya tak Kak Elle?

Nani Bagi saya yang asyik makan lauk yang sama tiap-tiap hari, resepi ni memang membuka selera. Thanks to Kak Elle :)

Unknown said...

mmg nampak sedaplahh..yus pun nak cuba nanti. Nisak, kalau di Sheffield, lengkuas ada di jual di kedai cina/thai, segar dan kering, dua2 pun ada.

Mama Sarah said...

Yus Yang benornya tak berapa kenal rupa dia. Agak-agak macam halia, kan? hihi...

Kak Elle said...

lengkuas kulit die kemerah2an and much thicker.Betul Ajzie you bolih gunakan dgn fish tapi kena di bakar baru sedap,lumutkan(betul ke perkataan I ni) bukan ikan cutlets,di sana takde daun pisang so just wrap ngan foil and grill.Cuba lah I did with rempah vindaloo-I think you can get them at the supermart in england,the ones I use I bought in australia under Spencers brand..UK I think its sherwood's more of indian flavour and smell so for me spencer's is my kind of taste.

Look out for my udang goreng kunyit next week:)

Ikelah said...

awesome food pics.

should get yourself a dslr with a 28 or 35 mm primes.... great on taking food/product.

saya masak juga tapi tak de resepi, ikut naluri saja dan campak itu dan ini. :(

silversarina said...

lauk ni memang sedap, hari tu akak masak guna jintan manis...pastu lengkuas dan serai memang bawak dari malaysia sebab kat jordan tak de ... I really like this menu since bahannya tak rumit...

nampak you punya lamb ni lagi menawan lah :D

Mama Sarah said...

Kak Elle ingat-ingat lupa lengkuas/galangal. I think the one I saw, memang galangal. pinkish and softer skin compared to ginger.

ikelah thanks ikelah! Didn't expect that to come from you. "Someone" doesn't approve the 28 or 35mm. he said the L lens is sufficient.

LuJordan jintan manis yang hitam ke? Tengok orang Pakistan di sini pun banyak guna jintan "manis" (yang hitam) bila tumis nasi beryani. Wangi.