Thursday, March 29, 2007

Udang goreng pedas Wah

You will need:

  • 12 medium sized prawns, with or without the heads
  • 3-5 dried chillies
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • a tiny bit of shrimp paste (optional)
  • salt to taste
  • a pinch of sugar OR a tinge of honey (optional)
  • Some oil to fry


Direction:
  1. Blend together dried chillies, onion and shrimp paste.
  2. Marinade the prawns with the blended ingredients, salt and sugar or honey. Set aside for fifteen minutes.
  3. In a wok, heat oil and fry the prawns until pink and crispy.
  4. Serve while hot.
Source: My Grandmother, Wah.

Note: The original recipe does not include honey or sugar as the prawns are already sweet as they are. I purposely add some honey to counter the heat from the chillies. It caramelised (not hangus!) hence the dark red in colour.

This recipe to me is a simplified recipe of sambal udang, a one step cooking method! I just love it when my Wah cooks this for us. It's her speciality besides her ayam percik, bifstik daging and telur separuh masak (seriously!).

2 comments:

Kak Elle said...

Will give it a try certainly.

Mama Sarah said...

Kak Elle Let me know what you think